Well, the internet is down at the house, so I ran into work to get this completed. Ugh!! Anyway, here is a quick promo, if you are brave, join us Monday, Nov. 4 at 8:30p.m. on Twitter for our bi-weekly chat using hashtag #NYEDChat. Our topic is Student Engagement. I’m writing about it for my Rethinking Education blog. We will also be podcasting live December 16 at 8:30p.m. through Google+ and hangout. We are calling this “Couragoues Conversations: Tell Us What You’re Really Thinking” or “Around the Horn, Education Style.” Either way it should be very entertaining!
Check out our #NYEDChat wiki page here. Our moderators are: Tony Sinanis, Carol Varsalona, Blanca Duarte, Bill Brennan, Starr Sackstein, and Vicki Day. Here we are on a Friday evening, using Google Hangout to plan. (It’s double screened because of my geekness using two screens! You can see us in the corner on the left screen, LOL!) It should be fun – this is the voice of education in New York State! Be a part of it! Have a great week! Vic
- Bus Duty for Nov. 4 – Nov 15 Team 5: Kathy Buell, Kate Spriggs, Megan Weldon Upcoming bus duty Nov 18 – Dec 16 Team 6: Connie Tubbs, Kelly Ayen, Bev Phelps
- Just a reminder that Monday we have DWIS at 3:00ish held at the West Side School
- Lisa has placed an email out to teachers regarding report cards. Please note that Report Cards will be sent home with students on November 15.
- I had to change our staff meeting date to Nov. 19th. Please make sure that you sign-up on MLP before it goes off. The topic of this meeting will be dedicated to watching and having a discussion about the movie, Including Samuel, and inclusive classrooms. Kim Hayes will join us.
- Peter DeWitt speaks out against InBloom and Tracking Student Discipline.
- Carol Burris writes about the ridiculous Common Core Math Pearson Test for 1st Graders.
- Tony Sinanis writes that It Does Take a Village to help our kids.
- Randi Weingarten asks Will States Fail the Common Core?
- I will not be creating a post for Nov. 11th Please make sure you are checking the announcement page daily!
- Please check the East Side Announcement page for updated dates, announcements etc. Lisa is updating this continually! http://gouverneurcentralschool.org/esannounce/
- What are the five things you are grateful for? Make a list daily. It does wonders!
- Be the change agent for kids! Be a champion for kids. Every kid deserves a champion!
Other Items of Interest
- Study the intended curriculum and agree on priorities within the curriculum
- Clarify how the curriculum translates into specific student knowledge and skills
- Establish pacing guidelines for delivering the curriculum
- Commit to one another that they will actually teach the curriculum
- Use common formative assessment
- Make adjustments to instruction based on the common formative assessment
The power of Twitter: Not every day that you get a tweet from the US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. Here I thank him for joining us doing a tweet fest. and he in turn responds. AWESOME!
A Touch of Humor:
Check this out!