- Bus Duty for Nov. 18 – Dec. 6 Team 6: Connie Tubbs, Kelly Ayen, Bev PhelpsUpcoming bus duty Dec 9 – Dec 20 Team 7: Paula Bates, Marcie Tyler, Sarah Pawananon.
- Please make sure you are checking the emails from Betty for rehearsals. Our K-2 concert is December 3rd.
- A link to the EdcampNJ Smackdown. Awesome links to check out!
- Please make sure you are checking your emails and website announcements. We have lots going on these next three weeks!
- Our East Side Holiday party is this Friday, December 6th at Paula’s house. Let’s relax and celebrate!
- My friend Peter DeWitt writes a response to Frank Bruni, NYT Journalist and Opinion page contributor about “Coddling the Common Core?”
- Tony Sinanis writes about his first Edcamp experience. (Tony and I attended EdcampNJ and it was AWESOME!)
- Carol Burris writes about NYS Million Dollar Baby and Common Core Money. Very interesting.
- More heated CCSS Forums on Long Island and a mommies revolt. Check it out.
- A satire of the Seven Blind Mice by Russ Walsh and a field guide to Education Reform.
@JohnKingNYSED @KenSlentz If you want Massachusetts results, follow their process–no numbers in APPR, phase in of evals, delaEthics, shmethics. My Regents fellows are paid privately and will do whatever they ding-dong please. Profit is the American way.
Hope the Regents’ respond-b/c many feel this way-Guest Spot: Board of Regents creating educational class system | http://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview.com/2013/11/49580/guest-spot-board-of-regents-creating-educational-class-system/ …
Guess @FrankBruni comes from Glengarry school of ed, where every kid must be given the Alec Baldwin speech everyday https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/406087939060289536 …
Another Superintendent says NYSED #commoncore modules deeply flawed & too rigid & he will discard them http://shelterislandreporter.timesreview.com/2013/11/22044/school-supe-weighs-common-sense-response-to-common-core/ …
Ugh. @StudentsFirstNY Let us all note that there are exactly zero retweets on this so far. For this I’m very thankful.
- Please check the East Side Announcement page for updated dates, announcements etc. Lisa is updating this continually! http://gouverneurcentralschool.org/esannounce/
- What are the five things you are grateful for? Make a list daily. It does wonders!
- Be the change agent for kids! Be a champion for kids. Every kid deserves a champion!
Other Items of Interest
This RSAanimate explains “outrospection,” which is a way of looking at the world with empathy and a perspective of social change.
- Family involvement can make a contribution to literacy and numeracy
- All parents, no matter their background, can be engaged with schools which positively impacts student achievement
The Board of Regents received this update about NY Common Core implementation at their meeting this week. SED is considering making some adjustments to their re-application for an NCLB waiver. They have a “think tank” working on it.
Thinking about making the switch to Standards Based Grading? This video provides a short introduction.
- Explore the similarities and differences in learners and gain insight about how they are likely to respond to classroom instruction
- Identify options for meeting the needs of the wide range of students including gifted students, struggling learners, students with special needs, second language learners, resistant and reluctant learners Explore UDL and options for scaffolding within CCLS target learning outcomes
This white paper describes the role that the school library plays in the implementation of the Common Core.
All Grades | Math | Scaffolding
All Grades | All Subjects | Discussion
All Grades | All Subjects | Exit Slips